- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup lard or solid vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds Gorgonzola dolce, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced spicy coppa
- 2 thinly sliced Bartlett pears
How to make this recipe
- make the dough In a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook, blend the flour, baking soda, salt and lard at medium-low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the machine on, add the water in a thin stream and mix until the dough forms a ball. Increase the speed to medium and knead for 5 minutes.
- make the dough Roll the dough into an 8-inch log and cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and arrange on a baking sheet. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- make the dough Heat a cast-iron griddle over moderate heat. On an unfloured work surface, roll out each ball of dough to a thin 7-inch round. Working in batches, griddle the piadine just until lightly browned on the bottom, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and brown the other side, 1 minute more. Keep the piadine warm in foil in a preheated oven while you cook the rest.
- Add the toppings Arrange the warm piadine on a platter or plates. Top with the sliced Gorgonzola, coppa and pears and serve.
A sparkling wine, like an Italian Lambrusco.