Cool Pineapple and Kiwi Dessert
- SERVINGS: 8
This light and intensely fruity molded dessert needs to set up overnight, so plan accordingly.
- Two 20-ounce cans crushed pineapple in unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 packets unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 long strips of lemon zest, removed with a vegetable peeler
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 kiwis, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- In a blender, puree the crushed pineapple with its juice in 2 batches. Using a rubber spatula, press the puree through a strainer. Discard the solids.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and gelatin and let stand until the gelatin softens, about 10 minutes.
- Line the bottom of a 9-by-2 inch-round cake pan with a round of wax paper. In a medium saucepan, combine the pineapple puree with the heavy cream, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and softened gelatin. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbles appear around the edge, about 12 minutes. Remove the lemon zest. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and refrigerate overnight.
- Run a knife around the inside of the pan and unmold the dessert onto a large platter. Remove the wax paper. Decorate with the kiwi slices and serve cut in wedges.