- 1/4 cup whole blanched almonds
- 4 medium freestone peaches
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 mint sprigs, plus 2 tablespoons shredded mint
- 1/4 cup Petit Suisse, fromage blanc or crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds in a pie plate. Toast for about 5 minutes, or until the almonds are lightly golden. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, using a sturdy vegetable peeler, peel the peaches; transfer the skins to a small saucepan. Add the water, sugar and mint sprigs and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut the peaches into small wedges and transfer them to a heatproof bowl. Strain the syrup over the peach wedges and let stand for 5 minutes. Divide the peaches among 4 bowls and spoon the syrup on top. Garnish each serving with the Petit Suisse, sprinkle with the toasted almonds and shredded mint and serve.
The peaches can be refrigerated in the syrup overnight.