- 2 cups Fuji apple juice (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons shiro dashi (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon untoasted sesame oil
- One 12-ounce package soft silken tofu, drained and sliced
- 2 cooked chestnuts, thinly sliced
- Light green frisée leaves, for garnish
- Wasabi oil (see Note), for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, whisk the apple juice with the shiro dashi, soy sauce, sherry vinegar and sesame oil. Arrange the tofu slices in shallow bowls. Top with the chestnuts and frisée. Pour the apple dashi around the tofu. (Reserve any remaining apple dashi for another use.) Drizzle each bowl with a few drops of wasabi oil and serve.
Fuji apple juice is available at supermarkets and juice bars, or you can make your own. Shiro dashi is a stock made with soy sauce, white soy, bonito flakes and seaweed. Shiro dashi and wasabi oil are both available at Japanese and Korean markets.
Full-bodied, apple-scented orange wine: 2010 Monastero Suore Cistercensi Coenobium Rusticum.