- 3 cups dry white wine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 parsley sprigs
- One 3-pound fillet fatty salmon, pin bones removed
- 6 thin lemon slices, for garnish
- 12 thin cucumber slices, for garnish
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup finely diced seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons minced capers
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 3 tablespoons minced dill
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- prepare the salmon In a fish poacher or a pot large enough to hold the salmon, combine the wine, onion, celery, peppercorns and parsley. Add 3 inches of water and bring to a boil. Add the salmon fillet (it should be fully submerged) and bring the water to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently over low heat until the salmon is just cooked through, about 8 to 9 minutes. Turn off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- meanwhile, make the raita In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
- meanwhile, make the raita Using 2 spatulas, carefully transfer the salmon fillet to a large platter. Dab off any white bits and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool.
- meanwhile, make the raita Garnish the salmon with the lemon and cucumber slices and serve with the raita.