- 4 cups brewed espresso
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Combine the espresso with the granulated sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the espresso into a 9-by-13-inch glass or metal baking dish. Freeze until ice crystals begin to form around the edges, about 2 hours. Using a fork, stir the mixture well and return to the freezer. Continue freezing, stirring and scraping every 30 minutes, until the mixture is thoroughly frozen and the crystals are fluffy, about 2 hours.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream with the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until firm but not stiff. Fold in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the lemon cream into each of 6 large chilled wineglasses and top with a layer of coffee granita. Continue alternating the layers, ending with a dollop of lemon cream, and serve right away.
The granita can be frozen for up to 2 days. If it solidifies, thaw it slightly in the refrigerator and break it up with a fork or quickly pulse it in a food processor. The lemon cream can be refrigerated for up to 1 hour.