- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups corn kernels (from 4 to 5 ears of corn)
- 1 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon chopped summer savory or thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound medium asparagus, sliced into thin rounds
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay spice (optional)
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced chives plus long snipped chives, for garnish
How to make this recipe
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small saucepan. Add the corn, 3/4 cup of chicken stock, the rice and summer savory and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat for 4 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook until the rice is tender, about 8 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and cook over high heat until the mixture starts to hold together, about 1 minute. Mound the "risotto" in the center of plates or a platter and keep warm.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of stock, 1/4 cup of heavy cream, 1 tablespoon of butter and the Old Bay spice over low heat for about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to the plates with the risotto. Bring the liquid left in the pan to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and add the minced chives. Pour the reduced cooking liquid over the shrimp, garnish with the long chives and serve immediately.