Cod with Tomato Ginger Sauce
- SERVINGS: 4
Though you can put this simple tomato sauce together in a matter of minutes, it has a surprisingly complex flavor. The sauce will seem thick, but the juices that come from the fish during cooking will thin it to just the right consistency.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds cod or scrod fillets, cut to make 4 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- In a large deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger; cook, stirring, 2 minutes longer. Add the tomatoes and salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the fillets and black pepper to the pan and cook, covered, until just done, 10 to 12 minutes longer for 1-inch thick fillets. Stir the cilantro into the sauce. Serve the fish topped with the sauce.
Look for an acidic white without too much personality, so the wine won't get in the way of the tomato ginger sauce. Try a Portuguese Vinho Verde or a refreshing French Côtes de Gascogne.