- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- 3/4 pound small golden new potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillet, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, warm 1/3 inch of oil over moderate heat. Add the potatoes, onion and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes and onion to 4 bowls; keep warm.
- Strain the oil through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl, then return it to the skillet. Add the garlic and cook over moderately low heat until golden, 5 minutes. Discard the garlic. Add the cod to the skillet and cook, turning once, until just white throughout, 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, add the cod to the potatoes.
- Pour off all but 1/3 cup of the oil from the skillet and let cool slightly. Stir in the 1/4 cup of oil and the water and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Stir in the parsley and season with salt. Spoon the salsa verde over the fish and potatoes and serve.
Try it with a floral rosé from Rioja.