- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- One 9-ounce box frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and pressed dry
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps quartered
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Four 6-ounce skinless cod fillets
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion, artichoke hearts, shiitake caps, carrots and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 7 minutes. Add the chickpeas and stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is nearly evaporated, 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and chives and keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until almost smoking. Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook over high heat until well browned on the bottom, about 6 minutes. Carefully flip the fillets and cook until they're white throughout, about 3 minutes longer.
- Spoon the vegetables into shallow bowls and top with the seared cod fillets. Serve with lemon wedges.
Crisp Grüner Veltliner from Austria.