- About 1 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups shredded sweetened coconut (about 9 ounces)
- 16 jumbo shrimp—shelled, deveined and cut almost in half lengthwise down the back
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons tamarind syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad greens, torn into bite-size pieces
How to make this recipe
Put the flour, eggs and coconut in separate shallow bowls. Dredge the shrimp first in the flour, then in the eggs and then in the coconut; press the coconut firmly onto the shrimp. Arrange the shrimp on a baking sheet, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over moderate heat to 350°. Working with 2 at a time, fry the shrimp until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain the shrimp on a rack set over a baking sheet and keep warm in a low oven.
In a blender, process the tamarind syrup, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Put the greens in a bowl, add the dressing and toss to coat. Mound the salad on 8 small plates. Set 2 shrimp beside each salad and serve.