- About 1 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups shredded sweetened coconut (about 9 ounces)
- 16 jumbo shrimp—shelled, deveined and cut almost in half lengthwise down the back
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons tamarind syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad greens, torn into bite-size pieces
How to make this recipe
- Put the flour, eggs and coconut in separate shallow bowls. Dredge the shrimp first in the flour, then in the eggs and then in the coconut; press the coconut firmly onto the shrimp. Arrange the shrimp on a baking sheet, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over moderate heat to 350°. Working with 2 at a time, fry the shrimp until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain the shrimp on a rack set over a baking sheet and keep warm in a low oven.
- In a blender, process the tamarind syrup, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Put the greens in a bowl, add the dressing and toss to coat. Mound the salad on 8 small plates. Set 2 shrimp beside each salad and serve.