Coconut Shrimp Beignets with Pepper Jelly Dipping Sauce
- SERVINGS: 8
- One 10-ounce jar red pepper jelly
- 1/4 cup Creole mustard or grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- One 12-ounce bottle amber beer
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails left on
- In a bowl, whisk the pepper jelly with the mustard and vinegar until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil to 350°. In a bowl, mix the flour with the scallions, coconut, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk in the beer and egg to form a thick batter.
- Working in batches, dip the shrimp in the batter (don't shake off the excess) and fry over moderate heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve with the pepper jelly sauce.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.