- 1 2/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans (2 1/2 ounces)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate (4 ounces)
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the coconut and pecans on separate baking sheets and bake for about 7 minutes, or until golden and fragrant; let cool.
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk the egg yolks with the granulated and dark brown sugars. Stir in the milk, cornstarch, salt and 1 cup of the coconut and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until pudding-like, about 6 minutes. Strain the custard, pressing hard on the coconut. Discard the coconut and let the custard cool. Stir in the vanilla and refrigerate until cold.
- Whip the cream until it holds firm peaks. Fold the cream into the custard, then fold in the chocolate, pecans and the remaining coconut.