Coconut Pavlovas with Tropical Fruit
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 large ripe passion fruits, halved
- 2 kiwis—peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 275°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray it with cooking spray. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar at medium speed until frothy. Beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the meringue is thick and glossy. Beat in the vanilla extract, then fold in the shredded coconut.
- Scoop the meringue into six 3 1/2-inch mounds on the prepared baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, make a 1 1/2-inch well in the center of each meringue.
- Bake the meringues in the center of the oven for about 1 hour, until crisp and lightly golden but still chewy on the inside. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Scoop the pulp and seeds from the passion fruits into a bowl. Set the meringues on plates. Mound the kiwi and mango into the center of the meringues, spoon the passion fruit on top and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.