Coconut-Mango Frozen Yogurt
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS
- SERVINGS: 4
Sophie Dahl's coconut frozen yogurt with a swirl of mango is like a tropical take on the classic orange Creamsicle. The method here, which does not require any special equipment, gives the frozen yogurt a fluffy, slightly icy texture, like a granita. For more creaminess, freeze the coconut base in an ice cream maker and swirl in the mango as soon as the frozen yogurt is done.
- 1 cup plain coconut water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 small mango (about 10 ounces), peeled and diced
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- In a small saucepan, combine the coconut water and sugar and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 6 minutes. Let the sugar syrup cool.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the diced mango with 2 tablespoons of the sugar syrup. Transfer 1/4 cup of the puree to a bowl and whisk in the Greek yogurt, coconut milk, lemon juice and the remaining sugar syrup. Pour the mixture into a glass baking dish and freeze for 1 hour, until frozen around the edges. Whisk the mixture to break up the clumps and return to the freezer. Freeze for about 2 hours longer, whisking frequently, until the mixture is nearly frozen. Spread the remaining mango puree on top and, using a butter knife, swirl it into the yogurt. Freeze until nearly solid.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the shredded coconut over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until it's golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer the coconut to a plate and let it cool. To serve, scoop the frozen yogurt into bowls and top with the toasted coconut. Alternatively, in a tall glass, layer the coconut between small scoops of the frozen yogurt, like a parfait.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.