- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT FIVE 4-OUNCE JARS
Serve this sauce with sautéed shrimp or chicken, grilled pork chops, lamb kabobs or grilled salmon. It can also be tossed with steamed rice, rice noodles or thin pasta.
- 2 limes, zest finely grated
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 large scallions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- Using a sharp knife, peel the limes, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections into the bowl. Finely chop the sections.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the curry powder and stir over low heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped lime and lime zest and cook over moderately high heat until the juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the sugar and stir until melted. Add the scallions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and boil over moderately high heat, stirring often, until reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then season with salt. Transfer to jars and refrigerate.