- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 large eggs
- One 13-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons aged rum
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Boiling water
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Set eight 1/2-cup ramekins in a roasting pan. In a small, heavy saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil over moderately high heat; stir occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Boil without stirring until an amber caramel forms, 6 to 8 minutes. Immediately pour the caramel into the ramekins, swirling them to coat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Whisk in the coconut milk, whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, rum, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour the custard into the ramekins. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan to reach two-thirds of the way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake the custards for about 50 minutes, or until set. Let cool in the water bath. Using paper towels, blot any coconut oil that has risen to the surface.
- Run a thin knife around each flan. Invert each ramekin onto a dessert plate; let the caramel drizzle onto the plate. Garnish with mint and serve.
The flans can be prepared through Step 2. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for up to 2 days.