Coconut Curry Tomato Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- One 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes, chopped and juices reserved
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño and ginger; cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the coconut milk and sugar; bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 20 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and transfer to a bowl.
Use as a poaching liquid for chicken, shrimp, lamb, pork and vegetables. Add to a sautéat the last minute. Toss with boiled potatoes or serve over rice. Mix with chicken stock and vegetables or seafood for a quick soup.