- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 can (14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and deveined (see Note)
- 1 cup shaved fresh coconut
- 1 cup (4 ounces) roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- Saffron Rice
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil with the curry paste. Simmer over moderate heat until reduced by half, about 7 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and fish sauce and cook until reduced by half again, about 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok or a large heavy skillet. Add 1/2 tablespoon of the oil and swirl over high heat until smoking. Season the shrimp with salt and add one-fourth of them to the wok. Stir-fry until opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a platter. Repeat with the remaining oil and shrimp; be sure to heat the oil in the wok between batches.
- Return the shrimp to the wok. Add the curry sauce and bring just to a simmer. Put the fresh coconut, peanuts and cilantro in separate bowls. Spoon the curried shrimp onto warmed plates and serve with the accompaniments and Saffron Rice.
Freeze the shrimp shells for making a quick shellfish stock at a later time.