- Two 10-ounce bags spinach, thick stems discarded, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thickly sliced
- 2 medium shallots, very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and minced
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, stirred
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Heat a large skillet until hot to the touch. Add the spinach in handfuls and cook over high heat, tossing, until just wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer to a colander; let cool slightly. Press out as much liquid as possible. Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook over moderately high heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger and jalapeño and cook until fragrant. Add the spinach and coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and serve.