- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 pound large sea scallops, horizontally sliced 1/3 inch thick
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a medium glass bowl, combine the lime juice, vinegar, mirin, ginger and garlic. Stir in the scallops and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, simmer the coconut milk over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely, stirring occasionally.
Drain the scallops and return them to the bowl. Stir in the reduced coconut milk, red bell pepper, pineapple, chives and crushed red pepper and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate the seviche for 1 hour. Let the seviche stand at room temperature for 10 minutes and stir before serving.