- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- One 7-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling
How to make this recipe
- Lightly oil a large baking sheet. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water and boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Add the coconut and a pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the syrup has evaporated and the coconut has a light, somewhat crystallized coating, about 20 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
- Working quickly, scrape the coconut candy onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it into a 10-by-9-inch rectangle; let cool to room temperature. Sprinkle a little nutmeg over the top. Using a large knife, cut the rectangle into 24 pieces and serve.
The clusters can be made up to 6 hours ahead.