Coconut Chiffon Bundt Cake with Coconut Frosting
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: One 10-inch bundt cake
Joanne Chang is a master of all kinds of desserts, from elegant French to homespun American like this classic coconut Bundt cake.
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Toasted shredded coconut, for garnish
- MAKE THE CAKE Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 10-inch Bundt pan and dust with flour. In a large bowl, sift the 1 3/4 cups of cake flour with the baking powder, salt and 3/4 cup of the sugar. Stir in the shredded coconut. In another large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the coconut milk, oil and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. With the mixer on, gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until the whites are glossy and soft peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Mix in the coconut milk mixture until incorporated. Stir one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into the batter, then carefully fold in the remaining beaten whites until no streaks remain. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden and the edges start to pull away from the pan. Transfer to a rack and let cool for 1 hour. Run a paring knife around the side of the cake to loosen it, then invert the cake onto a plate.
- MAKE THE FROSTING In a medium bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar with the coconut milk until smooth. Spoon the frosting over the cooled cake, allowing it to drip down the side. Garnish with toasted shredded coconut.
Madeira, the caramelly, citrusy fortified wine from Portugal, is a great pairing for desserts, set out the Blandy's 5-year-old Malmsey or the Cossart Gordon 15-year-old.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.