© Quentin Bacon
Coconut Arborio Rice Pudding
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
Arborio rice is great for Stephanie Prida's pudding, because the plump grains stay perfectly firm and chewy.
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 cup arborio rice (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded unsweetened coconut
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, rice and sugar with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender and suspended in a thick, creamy sauce, about 30 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is very tender and the liquid is thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- In a medium saucepan, toast the coconut over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Spoon the rice pudding into bowls, garnish with the toasted coconut and serve.