- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 3 tablespoons cocoa nibs (see Note)
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 300° and position a rack in the center of the oven. Draw an 8-inch circle on a sheet of parchment paper and invert it on a baking sheet.
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar at high speed until the whites are stiff and glossy, 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and bourbon. Add the cocoa nibs and beat until just incorporated. Spread the meringue on the paper in an 8-inch round.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the surface is dry and lightly browned and the center is still a bit soft. Let cool completely on the baking sheet, 30 minutes.
- Transfer the Pavlova to a board. Drizzle with the chocolate and top with the raspberries. Cut the Pavlova into 8 wedges and serve.
Cocoa nibs are available at specialty food shops.
One serving: 139 cal, 3 gm fat, 1.3 gm sat fat, 26 gm carb, 4 gm fiber, 2 gm protein.