Cocoa Cupcakes with White Icing
- SERVINGS: Makes 12 cupcakes
These moist cupcakes are guaranteed to satisfy the most serious chocoholics.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweeetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablepoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat (1.5%) buttermilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg white
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, cream the brown sugar and butter. Beat in the egg until incorporated. Add the corn syrup, applesauce and vanilla and beat well. Add the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk and mix just until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar with 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil and cook until the syrup reaches 240° on a candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, using a standing mixer or handheld electric mixer, beat the egg white with the salt until foamy. While beating, add the hot syrup in a thin steady stream. Add the vanilla and beat until the icing is thickened and cooled. Spread the icing on the cupcakes; let stand for up to 1 hour to allow the icing to set.
Make Ahead The cupcakes can be frozen for 1 month or kept in an airtight container for 2 days. Notes One Cupcake: Calories 216 kcal, Protein 3 gm, Carbohydrate 46 gm, Cholesterol 24 mg, Total Fat 3 gm, Saturated Fat 1.7 gm.