- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup crème fraîche, at room temperature and stirred until runny, plus more for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Put 4 additional foil cups on a small baking sheet.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. At medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating until each one is fully incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla. At low speed, alternately beat in the dry ingredients and the 3/4 cup of crème fraîche in 2 batches.
- Spoon the batter into the foil cups, filling each one two-thirds full. Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes, or until springy when gently pressed and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly, then remove from the pan. Place a dollop of crème fraîche on each cupcake and serve.