- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cook the onion in the olive oil over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the cloves, cover and cook over low heat until the onion is deeply caramelized on the bottom, about 12 minutes. Add the port and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the maple syrup and remove from the heat. Remove and discard the cloves. Season the relish with salt and pepper and let cool.
The relish can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.