Clove and Red Onion Relish
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP
Whole cloves infuse sweet onions with a rich, well-rounded flavor and fragrance. The relish is delicious with roast pork, chicken and duck, and it's great on sandwiches, especially slathered on a crusty baguette with baked Virginia ham and sharp Cheddar cheese.
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cook the onion in the olive oil over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the cloves, cover and cook over low heat until the onion is deeply caramelized on the bottom, about 12 minutes. Add the port and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the maple syrup and remove from the heat. Remove and discard the cloves. Season the relish with salt and pepper and let cool.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.