Clove and Lemon Butter Wafers
- SERVINGS: makes about 9 dozen wafers
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (scant)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Beat the butter with the sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Beat in the flour, egg, lemon juice, vanilla, salt and cloves.
- Lightly butter a cookie sheet. Drop scant teaspoons of the batter onto the cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Using the back of a spoon, spread the batter to make 2-inch rounds. Bake in the middle of the oven for 12 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 1 minute to firm up, then use a metal spatula to transfer them to a rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining batter. Store the cookies in an airtight tin.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.