- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup cake or pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons cold shortening
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 425°. Into a medium bowl, sift the flours with the baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. Stir just until a dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 2 or 3 times.
Pat or roll out the dough 3/4 inch thick. Using a lightly floured 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter, stamp out 12 biscuits. Dust the top of each biscuit with flour.
Transfer the biscuits to a greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned; serve.