- 300 grams water, plus more for rinsing
- 20 grams whole coffee beans
- Line a Clever Dripper with a size 4 white paper filter. In a burr grinder set to a medium-coarse grind size, grind the coffee beans. Heat the water until it registers 206° on an instant-read thermometer; alternatively, bring the water to a boil, then let stand for 1 minute.
- Pour some of the hot water into the dripper, thoroughly soaking the filter. Set the dripper on top of a coffee cup and allow the rinsing water to fully drain into the cup. Discard the rinsing water.
- Pour the ground coffee into the filter. Place the dripper on a kitchen scale and set the scale to zero. Pour 300 grams of hot water into the dripper, thoroughly saturating the coffee grounds. Let stand, covered, for 1 minute. Uncover and quickly stir the steeping coffee to break up the cap of grounds floating on top. Let stand, covered, for 2 1/2 minutes longer, then quickly stir the coffee once more.
- Set the dripper on the coffee cup and allow the coffee to fully drain into the cup.
Contributed By Photo © Chris Philpot Published February 2013