- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN plus overnight resting
- SERVINGS: 6
Although Marco Gallotta takes liberties with Roman recipes at 'Gusto, he also respects the classics. At the Osteria, he serves tiramisu at its most timeless: tender coffee-infused cookies in incredibly rich mascarpone cream with a gentle dusting of cocoa powder.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1/2 pound mascarpone (1 cup)
- 1 cup strong brewed espresso at room temperature
- One 7-ounce package dry ladyfingers, preferably Italian savoiardi (see Note)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- In a medium bowl, whip the heavy cream until it is firm and refrigerate. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the 1/3 cup of sugar until light in color. In another bowl, using a whisk or an electric handheld mixer, beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar to the whites and beat until they're firm and glossy. Using a rubber spatula, fold the whipped cream into the beaten yolk-and-sugar mixture, then fold in the mascarpone and one-third of the beaten egg whites. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour the espresso into a shallow bowl. Dip both sides of half of the ladyfingers in the espresso and use them to line the bottom of an 8-by-10- or 8-by-11-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Spoon half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers and spread it in a smooth, even layer. Dip both sides of the remaining ladyfingers in the espresso and arrange them on top. Spread the remaining mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers in a smooth, even layer. Cover and refrigerate the tiramisu overnight.
- Just before serving, sift the cocoa powder over the top of the tiramisu. Cut the tiramisu into squares and serve.
A plump, concentrated sweet Muscat with hints of caramel and candied orange will blend best with this creamy dessert.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.