- 1 pound green split peas
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Parsley Pistou, Onion Rings and crispy bacon (optional), for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, combine the split peas and water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the celery, carrots, onion, marjoram and thyme and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 8 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the split peas and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the peas have dissolved and the soup is thickened, about 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with Parsley Pistou, Onion Rings and crispy bacon.
The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.