- 3 garlic cloves
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 or 3 Scotch bonnet chiles, with some seeds, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- On a cutting board, mince the garlic, then mash it with a large pinch of salt. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and chiles and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato and cook over moderately high heat until the juices have evaporated, about 4 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and let cool.
The sofrito can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.