Classic Pumpkin Pie
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 30 MIN Plus cooling
- SERVINGS: Makes one 9-inch pie
To create a crisp crust on the bottom, Grace Parisi partially bakes the pie shell before adding the filling. If the edge starts to darken too much, cover it with a pie shield or strips of foil. This is a great crust for variations Chocolate Swirled Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin-Chiffon Pie.
- All-Butter Pie Dough
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Pinch of salt
- One 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough to a 13-inch round a scant 1/4 inch thick. Fit the dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate and trim the overhang to 3/4 inch. Fold the dough under itself and crimp decoratively; refrigerate the pie shell for 10 minutes.
- Line the pie shell with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in the center of the oven until nearly set, about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake until the crust is pale golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, cloves and salt until smooth. Whisk in the pumpkin puree, then the cream. Working near the oven, pour the filling into the crust. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the custard is set. Let the pie cool on a rack.