Classic Cold Tomato Soup of Cordoba (Salmorejo Cordobés)
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, quartered
- 3 slices of day-old rustic bread (about 3 ounces), crusts discarded and bread cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 4 thin slices of serrano ham (about 1 ounce), torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes with the bread chunks, garlic, 1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Puree until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for about 15 minutes, until cold.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover the eggs with water and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Drain off the water; fill the pan with cold water and let the eggs cool completely.
- Drain and peel the eggs, then quarter them lengthwise. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with sherry vinegar and olive oil. Serve the soup with the hard-cooked eggs, serrano ham and crusty bread.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.