- 1 pound plum tomatoes, quartered
- 3 slices of day-old rustic bread (about 3 ounces), crusts discarded and bread
cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 4 thin slices of serrano ham (about 1 ounce), torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- Crusty bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes with the bread chunks, garlic, 1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Puree until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for about 15 minutes, until cold.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover the eggs with water and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Drain off the water; fill the pan with cold water and let the eggs cool completely.
Drain and peel the eggs, then quarter them lengthwise. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with sherry vinegar and olive oil. Serve the soup with the hard-cooked eggs, serrano ham and crusty bread.