- 1 gallon cold water
- One 4-pound chicken
- 2 leeks, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 parsley sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer for 1 hour, skimming as necessary. Transfer the chicken to a rimmed baking sheet and let cool slightly. Remove all of the meat from the chicken and return the bones and skin to the pot; reserve the meat for another use. Partially cover and simmer the stock for 1 hour longer. Strain the stock and let cool. Skim off the fat before using.
The stock can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.