- One 3-pound chicken, neck reserved
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 4 carrots—2 coarsely chopped, 2 sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 celery ribs—2 coarsely chopped, 2 sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 unpeeled onion, quartered
- 1 large unpeeled garlic clove, smashed
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 6 parsley sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound thin egg noodles
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a stockpot, combine the chicken and neck, water, chopped carrots and celery, onion, garlic, peppercorns and herbs; bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Discard the skin. Pull the meat off the bones, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and refrigerate.
- Return the bones to the pot. Simmer for about 1 hour. Strain the broth into a bowl and rinse out the pot. Return the broth to the pot and boil until reduced to 8 cups, 30 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the sliced carrots and celery to the broth, cover and simmer until just tender, 12 minutes. In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the noodles; drain and cool under running water. Add the noodles, chicken and parsley to the pot and bring to a simmer. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve hot.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.