- 1/2 pound baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread cubes with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; spread in an even layer and season lightly with salt. Bake the baguette cubes for about 15 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the egg yolk, anchovy fillets, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice and cayenne and puree. With the machine on, slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil and blend until incorporated. Season with salt.
In a large bowl, toss the romaine with the croutons, dressing and cheese, and serve.
The caesar dressing can be refrigerated overnight.