Classic Belgian Waffles
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4 waffles
Thomas DeGeest went to Belgium to learn from master waffle-makers and perfect his own recipes. He came back with ideas for two styles of waffle, including this light, crispy Brussels version. Toppings for this exceptional Belgian waffle recipe can include dulce de leche, maple syrup and Belgian Chocolate-Fudge Sauce.
More Brunch Recipes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Belgian Chocolate-Fudge Sauce, for serving
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. In a large bowl, stir the flour with the salt. Whisk in the yeast mixture, milk, butter, egg yolks and vanilla until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold them into the batter and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 225°. Heat and grease a waffle iron. Pour 1 1/4 cups of the batter into the iron and cook until the waffles are golden, 6 minutes. Transfer the waffles to the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter. Dust the waffles with confectioners' sugar, drizzle with the Belgian Chocolate-Fudge Sauce and serve.