- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 12 chicken drumsticks (3 pounds)
- Classic BBQ Sauce (see Note), for brushing
- Bread-and-butter pickles, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except the chicken, barbecue sauce and pickles. Rub the chicken all over with the spice mix.
Set up a grill for direct and indirect cooking, then light the grill and oil the grate. Grill the chicken over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred all over, 8 to 10 minutes.
Move the chicken to indirect heat. Brush all over with the barbecue sauce. Cover and cook at 425°, basting and turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165°, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve with bread-and-butter pickles and the remaining barbecue sauce.
Use this Classic BBQ Sauce recipe.