- Pinch of saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Pinot Gris
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, steep the saffron in the vinegar over low heat for 1 minute. Let cool, then whisk in the olive and vegetable oils and the pepper.
In a large skillet or saucepan, combine the vinaigrette with the clams, tomatoes, shallots, garlic and wine. Cover and cook over high heat for 5 minutes. Transfer any clams that have opened to a large bowl. Cover and continue to cook, removing the clams as they open. Pour the hot broth over the clams, leaving behind any grit. Garnish with the parsley and serve.
Angel hair pasta.
The bright flavors of pear and citrus in Adelsheim Vineyard's Oregon Pinot Gris, combined with its natural acidity, are a wonderful match for the clams. This is a very refreshing style of Pinot Gris that allows the fruit to shine and refresh the palate.