- 1/2 cup water
- 24 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the clams, cover and steam over high heat until they open, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the clams to a platter to cool.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat. Spread 1/4 inch of kosher salt in an even layer on a small rimmed baking sheet. Remove and discard the top shells of the clams. Carefully loosen the clams in the bottom shells and set them on the salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream with the wine and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Top each clam with 1 teaspoon of the cream mixture and sprinkle with the cheese and thyme. Broil for about 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Garnish with the lemon zest and serve.
Pair with citrusy Chilean Sauvignon Blanc.