- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups large egg whites (11 or 12), at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 325°. In a small bowl, stir 1 cup of the granulated sugar with the lemon zest. In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the salt and the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the water, cream of tartar, vanilla and 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice and beat at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the lemon sugar and beat until the whites are stiff and glossy. Fold in the flour mixture in 3 batches. Spoon the batter into an angel food cake pan with a removable bottom and smooth the top. Using a knife, cut through the batter several times to release any air bubbles. Bake the cake for about 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and feels springy. Invert the cake pan onto the neck of a wine bottle and let the cake cool completely.
ONE SERVING: 243 calories, 1.3 gm total fat, 0.7 gm saturated fat.