© Zubin Schroff
Citrus-Scented Lamb Stew
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
More Amazing Lamb Recipes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds lean boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- One 3-inch strip of lemon zest
- One 3-inch strip of orange zest
- One 28-ounce can diced Italian tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen baby peas (2 cups)
- Melt the butter in a medium enameled cast-iron casserole. Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Add the meat to the casserole and cook over moderately high heat until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a large plate.
- Add the carrots and onion to the casserole and cook over moderate heat until just softened, about 10 minutes. Return the meat to the casserole. Add the cinnamon, allspice, lemon and orange zests and a generous pinch of pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and stock and bring the stew to a boil.
- Partially cover the stew and cook over moderate heat until the meat is just tender, 40 minutes. Stir in the peas and cook uncovered until the meat is very tender and the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes longer. Discard the lemon and orange zests and serve.
Make AheadThe stew can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Look for a red from Lebanon.