Citrus Salad with Saffron Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
For José Andrés, Christmas always means clementines, the easy-to-peel citrus with a sweet, apricot-like taste. He pairs them with tart grapefruit in a juicy, refreshing winter salad flavored with a bit of saffrona common Spanish ingredient.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 6 pink grapefruits
- 6 navel oranges
- 3 clementines, peeled
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil. Transfer to a small bowl and crumble in the saffron. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add the orange juice to the saucepan and boil over moderately high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 7 minutes. Add the juice to the saffron oil and let cool.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the grapefruits and oranges, cutting off all of the bitter white pith; cut the pith from the clementines. Finely chop the clementine and add to the saffron oil, along with the lemon zest. Working over a large, shallow bowl with the oranges and grapefruits, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Pour the saffron dressing over the sections and stir gently. Serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.