Citrus-Marinated Shrimp with Grilled-Onion and Orange Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Instead of relying upon fat, this recipe, created for Bobbi Brown by F&W's Grace Parisi, gets its bold flavors from ingredients like chipotles, grilled onions and citrus juice.
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, stems discarded, seeded and thinly sliced, plus 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce from the can
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, cut crosswise into 3 thick slabs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large navel oranges—peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a medium bowl, combine the orange juice with the garlic, adobo sauce and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper; let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan. Thread the onion slices on skewers to hold them together. Brush the onions with some of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the slices over high heat, turning once, until softened and charred, about 3 minutes per side. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop the onions and transfer them to a medium bowl. Add the sliced oranges, chipotles, cilantro and the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain and thread the shrimp onto 6 metal skewers. Brush lightly with the remaining olive oil and grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until charred in spots, about 5 minutes. Serve the shrimp with the onion and orange salad.
Grilled shrimp needs a tart white for contrast, one with enough fruit to balance the heat of the chiles and the sharpness of the citrus. That means Sauvignon Blanc, especially lively examples from South Africa.