Citrus Gratin with Toasted Almonds
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This warm citrus dessert is an updated version of the old-fashioned half grapefruit broiled with brown sugar. In addition to vitamin C, the recipe provides vitamin E from the scattering of sweet and crunchy almonds on top.
- 2 grapefruits
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 tangerines
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the broiler. Set the oven rack 8 inches from the heat. Using a sharp knife, peel the grapefruits, oranges and tangerines, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections into the bowl. Gently stir in the cinnamon and lime zest.
- Spread the citrus sections in individual gratin dishes. In a small bowl, toss the almonds with the turbinado sugar, oil and salt. Scatter the almonds over the fruit. Broil for about 2 minutes, rotating the dishes until the almonds are deep golden brown. Serve at once.