Citrus-Glazed Yogurt Cake
- ACTIVE: 50 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS
- SERVINGS: 8
The cake must be glazed while it is still hot, so be sure to make the glaze while the cake is baking.
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 2 scrubbed organic lemons
- Finely grated zest of 2 scrubbed organic oranges
- Finely grated zest of 1 scrubbed organic grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Citrus Glaze and Candied Zest
- Preheat the oven to 350° and position a rack in the lower third. Butter and flour a 9-inch tube or bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cake flour with the baking soda and salt. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well between additions.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt with the vanilla and citrus zests and juices. At low speed, beat the dry ingredients into the batter in 3 batches, alternating with the yogurt mixture. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack.
- Turn the hot cake right side up and prick it all over with a fork. Brush with the Citrus Glaze. Scatter 2 tablespoons of the on top of the cake and let cool completely. Slice the cake and serve the remaining Candied Zest alongside.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.